Queen Sylvia Akuchie is an American-born Nigerian who is at the peak of her career.
Akuchie has styled an array of clients in film, music, and television in the United States.
Here are eight things you didn’t know about the US-based costumier.
1. She is the designated costume designer for movies made by Hollywood mogul, Tyler Perry. Her resume includes films like ‘Single Moms Club’, ‘House of Payne’, ‘Gone Girl’, ‘Good Deeds’, ‘Why did I get Married’, and more.
2. She began designing in high school when she could never find what she wanted to wear at the stores.
3. When she was young, her mother thought she was wasting time and money designing.
4. Her first gig was a TV commercial for a clothing store called City Trends.
5. She got connected with Tyler Perry after she worked on the movie ‘Stomp The Yard’.
6. With over 10 years experience, Akuchie has styled some of the world’s most recognisable talents including hip-hop star Lil Wayne, Grammy-award winning Marsha Ambrosius, and R&B chart-topper, Mario, to name a few.
7. Her work has been featured in Essence, Ebony, and Men’s Health magazines. Her work has also been on many prestigious red carpets including the BET Awards, Emmys, Oscars, Grammys, NAACP Image Awards, Tony Awards, Stellar Awards, Soul Train Music Awards, among many others.
8. Akuchie runs a fashion concierge and image consulting agency called EyekonStyles International Inc. She plans to train Nigerians in the art of styling to enhance professionalism.
Copyright 2019 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.
Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle