The police in Plateau have revealed the circumstances surrounding the alleged murder of Jennifer Anthony, a student of the University of Jos (UNIJOS), by Moses Oko, her supposed lover.

Advertisement

The undergraduate was found dead at a hotel in Jos on January 1, with some of her body parts including her eyes missing.

The police arrested Oko a few weeks later in Benue where he was said to have fled to after allegedly killing the student.

According to NAN, the 22-year-old was arraigned before a high court sitting in Jos on Monday over the alleged murder.

Advertisement
Police arrest 'Killer' of UNIJOS student
Jennifer Anthony

During the court session, Alex Muleng, the prosecution counsel, alleged that Oko killed Jennifer on December 31, 2021, and thereafter removed her eyes and other human parts.

Muleng told the court that the defendant lured his girlfriend to meet him in Jos for “cross-over night to usher the new year but had sinister intentions of killing her.”

She said Oko later took away the student’s phone from her while they were together and destroyed it to stop her from calling for help.

Advertisement

Muleng added that Oko allegedly used a fork to gorge the deceased eyes and also used his feet to smash her head against the floor which led to her death.

The prosecutor added that the accused fled the scene of the crime before his eventual arrest on January 15.

It is understood that when the charge was read to Oko, he remained mute.

Earlier, N.E Jesse, counsel to the defendant, told the court that his client was suffering from mental problems and as such, could not speak.

Advertisement

Jesse said Oko had been suffering “unnecessary visitation” by some spirits and his mental status has been fluctuating.

He also claimed to receive the magnitude of the alleged offence had also tampered with his client’s mental health.

But the prosecutor objected to the insanity claim by Oko’s counsel.

Muleng said a medical certificate of sanity was before the court which proved the accused to be of a sound mind, adding that there was no contrary documentary evidence before the court to prove insanity.

Advertisement

She added that the accused had been talking to the police, his family, and his lawyer before proceedings commenced.

He also described the defendant’s actions as “mere acting a drama” before the court.

In his ruling, S.P Gang, the judge, entered a plea of not guilty for the defendant and adjourned the case to March 3 and 4 for the continuation of trial.

Advertisement


Copyright 2022 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.

Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle