There was panic at the Lagos campus of the Nigerian Law School on Wednesday night after a fire broke out causing a stampede.

Advertisement

A source told TheCable Lifestyle on Thursday morning that the fire was due to an electrical fault at the institution situated at the Ozumba Mbadiwe street in the Victoria Island axis of the state.

It is understood that the fire was contained shortly after it started.

“There was a fire outbreak yesterday night, but it was immediately contained. The fire was due to an electrical fault,” the source said.

Advertisement

The fire was said to have started at around 10 pm from the first floor of the five-storey building hostel housing over 1,500 law graduates.

Shortly after it started, security officials at the various hostels were said to have teamed up to put off the main electrical server switch.

Operatives of the Lagos state fire service were also said to have arrived at the scene “in good time” to support efforts to rid the flames.

Advertisement

Some students, who were said to have sustained varying degrees of injury while scampering for safety, are currently receiving medical attention at the school’s clinic.

In a now-viral video of the fire incident, a student could be heard screaming amid sparks from the electrical cables.

Students and parents were also seen standing in groups while discussing in hushed tones.

 

Advertisement
View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by THENIGERIALAWYER (@thenigerialawyer)

Advertisement


Copyright 2022 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.

Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle