There was pandemonium on Tuesday after the female postgraduate hostel in Ekehuan campus of the University of Benin (UNIBEN) was gutted by fire.


NAN reports that the fire outbreak, which started around 1 pm, destroyed some documents and properties at the university.

It is understood that no life was lost during the inferno.

NAN quoted a source as saying the fire was ignited by a surge from an electric cooker popularly known as “hot plate” being used by one of the female students.


The source added that the attention of the fire service in the state was drawn to the incident on time and its men were on ground to extinguish the fire.

The institution is yet to make an official comment on the incident.

Efforts by TheCable Lifestyle to reach Benedicta Ehanire, the varsity’s public relations officer, proved abortive as her phone number was not connecting.


The development further stretches the case of fire incidents across schools in the country.

TheCable Lifestyle earlier reported how fire also gutted a section of Queen’s College in the Yaba area of Lagos state.

UNIBEN was in the news recently after a student of the institution simply known as Mayor was shot dead by suspected gunmen.


Copyright 2024 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.

Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle