The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has assured students and tertiary institutions that there would be no difference between the 2016 admission process and what was previously obtainable.
The examination board said the only change in the present process is the prior announcement of cessation of the post-UTME test.
JAMB is currently meeting admission officers of tertiary institutions for recommendations on the 2016/2017 admission process.
The meeting, which is holding at the Bayero university campus, Kano, began on Monday, and is expected to last for a week.
“Admission officers of universities, polytechnics, monotechnics, colleges of education and innovation enterprises are by this notice requested to come with their admission recommendations for processing,” a message on the board’s website had read.
Speaking after the first day of meeting, Ishaq Oloyede, JAMB registrar, explained that the board is not out to take over the responsibilities of senates and academic boards of institutions.
Oloyede said: “No candidate must emanate from any other source outside the list prepared and recommended by the institutions.
“The only difference between this year’s admission process and what has always been the practice is the policy that there should be no written post-UTME test. All other processes should be and would be as they have always been.”
Earlier in 2016, the board announced the cancellation of post-UTME tests and announced that it would send lists of qualified candidates to tertiary institutions.
However, it subsequently withdrew the lists sent to the institutions, stating that it wanted university senates to perform its statutory responsibility of conducting the selection of candidates.
Less than 24 hours after the withdrawal, the presidency announced the sack of Dibu Ojerinde, registrar of the board at the time, and appointed Oloyede, a former vice-chancellor of University of Ilorin, as his replacement.
In spite of the confusion, the University of Lagos maintained that it would continue its admission process saying its senate is solely responsible for selection of candidates.
Copyright 2018 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.
Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle