THE released its latest world university rankings on Wednesday.
The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2024 include 1,904 universities across 108 countries and regions.
The universities were evaluated and ranked based on 18 indicators that measure performance across five areas including teaching, research environment, research quality, industry, and international outlook.
This year’s ranking analysed more than 134 million citations across 16.5 million research publications and included survey responses from 68,402 scholars globally.
Overall, THE collected 411,789 data points from more than 2,673 institutions. A total of 39 Nigerian tertiary institutions were listed in this year’s THE world universities rankings.
Covenant University took the lead as Nigeria’s overall best university, ranking in the 800 to 1000 global bracket.
Also in the 800/1000 band for 2024 is the University of Ibadan which came second.
The Federal University of Technology Akure came third nationally, having ranked in the 1001/1200 global band.
On a global scale, the University of Oxford tops the ranking for the eighth year in a row, but others in the top five have seen shifts in their ranks.
Stanford University moved up to second place, pushing Harvard University down to fourth.
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) climbed up two places to third this year.
The University of Cambridge slipped to fifth place, after being in joint third place last year.
The US is the most-represented country overall, with 169 institutions, and also the most represented in the top 200 at 56.
See the full list for Nigeria below.
- Covenant University – 800/1000
- University of Ibadan – 800/1000
- Federal University of Technology Akure – 1001/1200
- University of Lagos – 1001/1200
- Bayero University – 1201/1500
- University of Ilorin – 1201/1500
- University of Nsukka – 1201/1500
- Afe Babalola University – 1501+
- University of Benin – 1501+
- Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta – 1501+
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology – 1501+
- Lagos State University – 1501+
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University – 1501+
- Obafemi Awolowo University – 1501+
- University of Port Harcourt – 1501+
- Abia State University – reporter
- Akwa Ibom State University – reporter
- Alex Ekwueme Federal University – reporter
- Babcock University – reporter
- Baze University – reporter
- Bells University of Technology – reporter
- Benson Idahosa University – reporter
- Delta State University Abraka – reporter
- Edo State University – reporter
- Edwin Clark University – reporter
- Elizade University – reporter
- Evangel University Akaeze – reporter
- Federal University of Kashere – reporter
- Federal University of Petroleum Resources Effurun – reporter
- Federal University of Technology Minna – reporter
- Federal University of Technology Owerri – reporter
- Fountain University – reporter
- Landmark University – reporter
- Nassarawa State University Keffi – reporter
- Niger Delta University – reporter
- Plateau State University – reporter
- Thomas Adewumi University – reporter
- Veritas University – reporter
- Yusuf Maitama Sule University Kano – reporter
THE said the universities listed with “reporter” status provided data with which to make the list but did not meet the eligibility criteria to receive a rank
In 2023, Covenant University scored third place nationally after the University of Ibadan and the University of Lagos respectively.
Copyright 2023 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.
Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle