Rotimi Akeredolu, governor of Ondo, says the third confirmed case of the coronavirus pandemic in the state was not a corps member as rumoured in some quarters.

The state recorded its third case of COVID-19 on Monday night, according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

Shortly after the announcement, there were insinuations that the third confirmed case was a serving member of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC).

Debunking the rumours, Akeredolu said that the infected person was an ex-corps member who served in the barracks but was retained after the service year.

“Important clarification on the third #COVID19 case in Ondo. Infected person is not [email protected] corps member as stated online. Individual was an ex corps member that served in the Barracks and was retained,” he wrote on Twitter.

The governor added that relevant agencies in the state have kickstarted contact tracing to identify all those who had recently met with the infected person.

“As it is typical for all cases, all protocol for contact tracing has been activated with those closest to the new case kept in isolation for observation. #TakeResponsibility,” he wrote.

Nigeria has 343 confirmed cases of the novel disease as of the time this report was filed. Out of this, 91 persons have recovered while 10 deaths have been recorded so far.



Copyright 2020 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.

Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle