Seun Kuti, the Afrobeat singer, has regained freedom after spending eight days in police detention.


The musician was released to his family on Tuesday evening after meeting his bail conditions.

Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika, the singer’s counsel, confirmed he was released around 7.30 pm.

The lawyer also disclosed that Seun will be at the magistrate’s court in Yaba on Wednesday for the proceeding which was adjourned today.


The purpose of that proceeding, according to Adeyinka, is to receive the director of public prosecution (DPP)’s advice.


View this post on Instagram



A post shared by Mádé Kuti (@madekuti)

Seun, the youngest son of Fela Kuti, the late Afrobeat legend, was apprehended on May 15 after he was filmed assaulting a police officer on the Third Mainland Bridge.

He was detained at the state criminal investigation Department (SCID) and arraigned before the magistrate’s court on May 16.


The police had sought to get an order to further keep him in custody for 21 days pending the conclusion of its investigation.

But Adeola Olatubosun, the chief magistrate of the court, directed the police to detain the musician for additional 48 hours and then release him on bail.

On Thursday, Olatubuson extended Seun’s remand for additional four days to enable the police to continue with its investigation.

She also ordered that Seun’s file be duplicated and sent to the DPP and subsequently adjourned the trial till May 22.


The trial was thereafter shifted to Tuesday, May 23.

The trial was, however, stalled today due to the absence of the chief magistrate.

Earlier in the day, protesters were seen outside the court carrying banners with inscriptions like ‘Free Seun Kuti’ and ‘End Police Brutality’ among others.


Copyright 2023 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.

Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle