The police in Lagos state have released Naira Marley, the musician, and Sam Larry, his associate, in the case against them.


Benjamin Hundeyin, the Lagos police PRO, confirmed their release in a statement he issued on Friday.

The PPRO said both music executives were released from custody on Friday after meeting their bail conditions.

The duo had been in police custody over October’s mysterious death of Mohbad, the Nigerian singer.


Naira Marley, Sam Larry, and two others were arraigned before a Yaba Magistrate’s Court on October 6.

They were charged to court for their alleged involvement in the death of Mohbad and subsequently remanded in police custody.

The court granted them bail on November 6 in the sum of N20 million with three sureties in like sum.


Adeola Olatunbosun, the magistrate, ruled that the defendants should submit their passports and report weekly to the state’s criminal investigation department at Panti, Yaba.

“Naira Marley and Sammy Larry, having met their bail conditions, have been released from custody,’’ Hundeyin said.

Mohbad died in mysterious circumstances on September 12 and was buried the following day.

His death sparked nationwide protests, making the Lagos government order the exhumation of the body for a coroner’s inquest.


Mohbad was said to have attended a concert at Ikorodu, Lagos state on September 10 where he sustained injuries in a fracas.

Among those the police questioned over his death were the late singer’s father, mother, sisters, brother, friends, wife, and manager.

The police also invited a childhood friend of Mohbad, named Primeboy, for questioning.

Police detained Naira Marley and Sam Larry over their alleged roles in Mohbad’s death as they were reported to have been bullying him.


Mohbad was formerly signed to Naira Marley’s Marlian Records but left the label in 2022.

Addressing a conference in Ikeja on October 5 on preliminary findings on Mohbad’s death, Idowu Owohunwa, the Lagos commissioner of police, named an auxiliary nurse, Feyisayo Ogedengbe, as the prime suspect.

Ogedengbe was reported to have injected the deceased thrice in his home on September 12 before he started vomiting and developing goosebumps.

Owohunwa said 26 persons had been interviewed concerning Mohbad’s death.


Copyright 2024 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.

Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle