President Muhammadu Buhari has named Adeyeye Ogunwusi, the Ooni of Ife; Muhammadu Abubakar, Sultan of Sokoto; and Nnaemeka Achebe, the Obi of Onitsha, among the newly appointed chancellors of varsities in Nigeria.
The president appointed chancellors of 42 federal universities across the country on Thursday, with the Sultan emerging chancellor of the University of Ibadan (UI).
According to the list, the Ooni was named the chancellor of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) while the Obi was appointed chancellor of Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria.
Buhari also approved the appointment of pro-chancellors and chairmen of councils of 23 federal universities and four inter-university centres.
Adamu Adamu, the minister of education, who broke the news at a briefing in Abuja, said the move is aimed at strengthening the institutions in terms of service delivery and global competitiveness.
“The president has, following the establishment of additional Universities, approved the appointment and/or reassignment of chancellors to 42 federal universities. The exercise is intended to also replace deceased chancellors of some federal universities,” he said.
“As royal fathers, these chancellors are expected to be the moral compass of the various universities to which they are assigned. They have been taken from their kingdoms and primary constituencies to other kingdoms and these appointments are expected to play a role in cementing relationships between communities in the country.”
Below are the institutions and their chancellors:
- Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi (ATBU) — Rufus Aladesanmi, the Ewi of Ado-Ekiti;
- Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria — Nnaemeka Achebe, the Obi of Onitsha
- Alex Ekwueme University, Ndufu-Alike, Ebonyi State — Adedotun Aremu Gbadebo, the Alake of Egbaland
- Bayero University, Kano — Oba Ewuare II, oba of Benin
- Federal University, Dutse, Jigawa state — W.S. Joshua, the Ibenanawei of Bomo Kingdom
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe state — Chike Edozien, the Asagba of Asaba
- Federal University, Gusau, Zamfara state — Ezeogo Ewa Elechi, the Isu-Oha I of Ohaisu Kingdom
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa state — Shekarau Angyu, the Uka of Wukari
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi state — Mohammadu Abali ibn Mohammed Idris, the Emir of Fika
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti state — the Attah Igala
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta — Ebidem Ekpo Okon, the Obong of Calabar
- Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun — Babatunde Ajayi, the Akarigbo of Remoland.
- The Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA) — Umar Kabir Umar, the Emir of Katagum
- Federal University of Technology, Minna — Aladetoyinbo Aladelusi, the Deji of Akure
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina — Dandeson Douglas Jaja jeki, the Amanyanabo of Opobo Kingdom
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba state — Adamu Baba Yunusa, the Ona of Abaji
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi — Eze Cletus Ilomuanya, the Obi of Obinugwu
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe state — Lawrence Agbubuzu, the Ezema of Olo Kkingdom
- Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa — Sidi Bage Muhammad, the Emir of Lafia
- Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike — Abubakar Shehu Abubakar, the Emir of Gombe
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola — Uwa Umoh Adiaka, the Ekporikpo of Obot;
- National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) — Agabaidu Elias Obekpa, the Ochi Idoma
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK), Awka — Da Jacob Gyang Buba, the Gbong Gwon Jos.
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife — Yahaya Abubakar, the Etsu Nupe
- University of Abuja — Rilwan Adamu, the Emir of Bauchi
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi — Ibrahim Sulu Gambari, the Emir of Ilorin
- University of Benin (UNIBEN) — James Ayatse, the Tor Tiv
- University of Calabar (UNICAL) — Aminu Ado Bayero, the Emir of Kano
- University of Ibadan (UI) Muhammadu Abubakar, the Sultan of Sokoto
- The University of Ilorin — AbdulMumini Kabir Usman, the Emir of Katsina
- University of Jos — Ahmed Nuhu Bamali, the Emir of Zazzau
- University of Lagos (UNILAG) — Abubakar Ibn Umar el-Kanemi, the Shehu of Borno
- University of Maiduguri — Lamidi Adeyemi, the Alaafin of Oyo
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka — Adeyeye Ogunwusi, the Ooni of Ife.
- University of Port-Harcourt — Muhammadu Bashar, the Emir of Gwandu
- University of Uyo — Adamu Maje, the Emir of Hadejia
- Usmanu Danfodiyo University — Rilwan Akiolu, the Oba of Lagos
- University of Health Sciences — Attahiru Ahmed, the Emir of Zamfara
- Nigerian Army University, Biu — Felix Mujakperuo, the Orodje of Okpe Kingdom.
- Nigerian Maritime University, Okerenkoko, Delta state — Alfred Papapereye Diete-Spiff, the Amanyanabo of Twon Brass
- Federal University of Agriculture, Zuru — Eze Eberechi Dick, the Eze Uudo of Mgboko Ngwa, Amaise.
Copyright 2021 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.
Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle