The National Examination Council (NECO) says about 1.3 million candidates are taking part in the ongoing 2021 Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) across the country.
According to NAN, Ibrahim Wushishi, NECO’s registrar, broke the news in Yola, Adamawa state, on Thursday.
The registrar said about 1.1 million candidates sat for the examination last year. The figure is about 200,000 lower than that of 2021.
Wushishi said that the increase in students this year was a testimony to the recognition and acceptability growth of NECO.
“So far, from what I saw in some schools visited, the conduct of the examination is highly encouraging and fantastic,” he said while monitoring the conduct of the exam in Adamawa.
“The conduct of the examination has demonstrated the mission and vision of the council for credible examination.
“And one of my cardinal objectives as Registrar of the council is to ensure the council achieve the international standard recognition and acceptability.”
The registrar said the body has put in place many mechanisms to protect the integrity and standard of the examination as well as to checkmate the activities of saboteurs and other criminals.
He also disclosed that the council is perfecting plans to introduce computer-based exam.
President Muhammadu Buhari had in July appointed Wushishi as the registrar about two months after the demise of Godswill Obioma.
Copyright 2023 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.
Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle