Hameedat Sanni, a female student of the University of Ilorin (UNILORIN), has committed suicide after allegedly borrowing a man she met on Snapchat the sum of N500,000.


Sanni was undergoing her SIWES programme at the institution before the incident happened.

The 20-year-old student was said to have taken a chemical substance, suspected to be a sniper on Monday.

Rubiks, the private hostel management she resided in before her demise, in a statement, said Sanni committed suicide due to “financial misappropriation”.


The hostel management said Sanni borrowed her male friend on Snapchat N500,000 after he claimed his mother was battling breast cancer.

The student then resorted to borrowing from money-lending apps after her social media friend “cut off all contact” and refused to pay her back.

The hostel management said the situation “forced Sanni into depression” and led her to poison herself.


“The cause of suicide was traced to financial misappropriation. She was entrusted with a significant sum of money by her mother,” the statement reads.

“She crossed paths with a guy on Snapchat and developed a friendship. When the boy claimed that his mother was battling breast cancer and urgently needed N500,000, the compassionate and emotional lady decided to help him by lending him half of the N1 million she held for her mother.

“And the boy promised to repay the borrowed money. However, when her mother needed the money back, the boy abruptly cut off all contact, blocking her.

“This left her deeply troubled and in order for her to make up the missing N500,000, she resorted to borrowing money from various apps.


“Hameedat, therefore, managed to gather N450,000 from the loan apps, adding her savings of N50,000 to make up the borrowed N500,000.

“She was reported to have ingested a bottle of pesticide popularly known as Sniper the previous night.

“Her roommate who had retired to bed early, woke up in the middle of the night to discover her in distress while she was foaming from her mouth and also vomiting.

“Alarmed, the roommate sought help, and she was rushed to UITH before being declared dead.”


Ologundudu Adesunkanmi, the student union president, said the university’s management has reported the incident to the appropriate authorities.

Adesunkanmi said investigations have commenced, adding that “it is sad that the university community lost her in such a devastating manner”.

Copyright 2024 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.

Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle