Ngozi Nwosu says misinformation about her health struggles felt like she was being buried alive.


In 2012, the actress had famously sought N6 million to undergo treatment for a kidney/heart-related ailment.

This had followed after speculations soared that Nwosu was being treated for HIV/AIDS-related conditions.

In an interview with Chude Jideonwo, Nwosu spoke about her struggles with public perception at the time.


The actress, who explained that it felt like being buried alive, said the claims exposed her to suffering depression.

“It was really difficult to come out and talk about because people said all sorts of things. They didn’t know what was the problem. The way press people put things can make you, mar you, or even kill you,” Nwosu said.

“There was nothing they didn’t say. People were speculating. No one knew where I was because I kept it to myself.  Reading blogs and seeing things they say was like burying you alive. There was one that trended.


“It made me question myself, asking if I’m alive. One came out and said I had leukemia. I started crying. To make matters worse, they said their report was from the source’s mouth. I was talking on the streets, crying.

“I didn’t know where my life was headed. I didn’t know what was wrong. I even went to the hospital. I ran tests and I was very okay. But I guess it’s the price you pay for being a celebrity. The price was too high.

“If I didn’t handle it the way I did, depression would have killed someone. You can never be prepared enough. You meet people and you don’t know what they’re going to throw at you.”

Nwosu: Why I underwent surgery, physiotherapy


Nwosu, aged 58, recounted how taking up mean roles in movies also skewed people’s perception of her in reality.

She further narrated how she underwent surgery and took to physiotherapy after passing out in pain at her home.

“Last year, I went to work. I was okay. I wanted to get water from the fridge at home. I fell, blacked out. When I regained consciousness, I couldn’t get up. I was looking at my phone and couldn’t call for help,” she said.

“I couldn’t move one of my legs. I cried. I said, ‘who will I call?’ The gen was on. No one could hear my calls. After a while, the strength came and I was able to crawl to the door with my buttocks. I couldn’t scream.


“I picked up my earpiece and tied it to the leg. It was hurting. The leg was still lifeless and I stretched with the other side. I was panting for 15 to 30 minutes. I opened the door, screamed. Help came and I passed out.”

According to the actress, she had decided it was best she kept her struggles away from the press to avoid pity.

“That began the journey of me and my leg for one whole year. Even at that, I didn’t let that debar me from what I wanted to achieve. It was painful. It hurt. I became someone who had to be helped with things,” she added.

“I said, ‘no, this is not me. Life is about struggling. Don’t give up.’ After the surgery, I stood and started learning how to walk. All these happened and no one knew. I kept it away from teh press. I didn’t want a pity party.”


Copyright 2024 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.

Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle