Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, his wife, have been stripped of their royal titles as well as public funds associated with royal duties.
The new directive, which was contained in a statement released by Buckingham Palace, also stated that the couple cannot represent the Queen at official outings anymore.
According to the statement, the move followed “many months of conversations and more recent discussions,” describing it as “a constructive and supportive way forward to support” Harry and his family.
The palace also explained that the development did not come as a surprise to the couple, noting that they were aware their early announcement to “step back” from their position as senior royals would come with such measure.
“They will no longer receive public funds for royal duties,” the statement said.
“With the Queen’s blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations.
“While they can no longer formally represent the Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty.
“The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family.”
The Queen stated that the couple would remain an integral part part of the family, commending their numerous contributions to the country.
BREAKING: An agreement has been reached on Harry and Meghan’s future: pic.twitter.com/MgOy6DRTZO
— Emily Nash (@emynash) January 18, 2020
“Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family,” the Queen said.
“I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life.
“I want to thank them for all their dedicated work across this country, the Commonwealth and beyond, and am particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family.
“It is my whole family’s hope that today’s agreement allows them to start building a happy and peaceful new life.”
The development comes less than 10 days after the couple announced their decision to step back from their roles as senior royals to pursue financial independence.
The British royal family had earlier described the couple’s decision as shocking, adding it was ‘hurt’ by it.
Copyright 2020 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.
Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle