The Lagos state special offences court in Ikeja has again adjourned the trial of Baba Ijesha, the embattled Nollywood actor, for alleged sexual assault, till September 27.
Baba Ijesha is being tried on a six-count charge which includes sexual assault by penetration, indecent treatment of a child, and sexual assault.
His trial commenced officially on July 26 and was expected to last till 28.
But on July 27 — the second day of the trial — Babatunde Ogala, lead counsel to Baba Ijesha, had applied for an adjournment of the case.
In her ruling, Oluwatoyin Taiwo, the judge, had approved Ogala’s application for adjournment.
Taiwo thereafter held that the trial would hold between August 11 and 12 respectively.
When TheCable Lifestyle arrived at the court on Wednesday, however, Ibrahim Hassan, the registrar, announced that the trial would not hold as scheduled.
Hassan said the judges are currently on a retreat.
In a notice also sighted by TheCable Lifestyle, Kazeem Alogba, the state chief judge, said all the judges would be on long vacation between August 16 till September 17.
The prosecution team, led by Olayinka Adeyemi, the state director of public prosecution (DPP), is expected to present its remaining witnesses in the case when the trial resumes.
The court had earlier admitted footage of closed-circuit television (CCTV) submitted by Comedian Princess against the actor.
It also admitted a written statement submitted by Princess at the police station when she reported Baba Ijesha as a piece of evidence in the trial.
Copyright 2023 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.
Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle