Davido, the Nigerian Afro-pop star, says only government accredited orphanage homes are entitled to his N250 million donation.
The music star announced more details about the disbursement of the funds in a statement via his Instagram page on Monday.
According to him, registration for the donated funds has begun and will end on Thursday.
HOW TO APPLY?
- To apply for the funds, operators of eligible orphanage homes are expected to follow the link: https://linktr.ee/davidoorphanagedonations
- After successfully opening the link, click on ‘orphanage registration link’ option to continue the process
- A welcome message will follow after which you’re expected to click the ‘continue’ option to read stipulated guidelines for filling the form
- If you’re okay with the listed rules, you can proceed to fill the form and then submit the form
- It should be noted that the registration is expected to be done by a top official or founder of the orphanage home on behalf of the facility such person is representing
The award-winning singer had recently announced a fundraiser, which he initially said was for the clearance of his Rolls Royce vehicle at the ports.
But after raking N200 million from the initiative, he added N50 million and declared that the funds would be used to support orphans.
He also announced a five-member committee to oversee the distribution of the donated funds to beneficiaries.
The gesture had fetched him commendations from Nigerians on social media, including Atiku Abubakar, former vice-president, and Bukola Saraki, ex-senate president.
It also attracted criticism in some quarters. Baba Fryo, the Nigerian musician, had claimed that the ‘OBO’ crooner’s donation inspired fraudsters.
“I didn’t mean any harm. I was only expressing myself. I heard about one of my friends and shed tears. I only woke up and saw posts responding to a comment about the N250 million Davdo donated,” he had said.
“Someone else posted theirs. They wanted to extort people. What I tried to push for in that post is love for ourselves as entertainers.”
Davido had earlier vowed to ensure that the donated fund is not misappropriated.
Copyright 2023 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.
Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle