The National Examination Council (NECO) says it recorded 6,465 exam malpractice cases in the 2020 Senior Secondary Certificate Examinations (SSCE) for external candidates as against 17,004 cases in 2019.
According to NAN, Godswill Obioma, the council’s registrar, broke the news on Thursday while announcing the release of its 2020 SSCE results for external candidates.
Obioma said 41,459 candidates registered for the examination out of which 39,503 actually sat for it.
He explained that a total of 26,277 candidates obtained five credits and above including English Language and Mathematics while 34,014 candidates also obtained five credits and above irrespective of English Language and Mathematics.
The registrar noted that the reduction in the level of malpractice was a result of deepened monitoring of the examination by members of the governing board, management, and senior staff of the council.
He also disclosed that four supervisors, who were found culpable of aiding and abetting malpractice, had been blacklisted and would no longer be engaged in the conduct of NECO examinations.
Obioma said that the results of 256,000 candidates who missed some papers during the 2020 SSCE (Internal) due to the #EndSARS protests in some states and who sat for those papers during the 2020 SSCE (External) are being released alongside external candidates.
“One examination centre in Ogun State has been derecognised for intimidation and several attempts to induce NECO officials as well as aiding and abetting examination malpractice,” he added.
“It is gratifying to note that the examination was at no extra cost to the affected candidates.
“A further analysis of candidates performance indicates that a total number of 29,918 obtained credit and above in English Language while a total number of 34,061 candidates obtained credit and above in Mathematics.”
The registrar stated that the year 2020 ushered in very daunting challenges essentially occasioned by the COVID-19 pandemic and #EndSARS protests in the pursuit of the council’s mandates.
He said this necessitated the rescheduling of the various examinations organised by NECO, for instance, 2020 SSCE (External) which ought to have been concluded in November/December 2020 was conducted in February/March 2021.
According to him, “in spite of these, we were not deterred rather we remained resilient and resolute in the conduct of our activities”.
The registrar reiterated the council’s commitment to conducting credible examinations to improve the quality of education in the country.
“In view of the above, and based on approval of the Federal Ministry of Education, NECO has scheduled her public examinations for year 2021 as follows: National Common Entrance Examination (NCEE) for admission of JSS 1 students into Federal Unity Colleges is scheduled for May 29,” he added.
“Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) Internal is scheduled from July 5 to Monday, Aug. 16. Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) is scheduled for Aug. 23 to Monday, Sept. 6 in order to enable students at that level cover enough subject matter for the examination.”
Copyright 2022 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.
Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle