Seun Kuti, the Afrobeat singer, has declined the peace walk invite of Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Lagos governor.
In October 2020, army operatives had opened fire at unarmed protesters at the Lekki tollgate in Lagos.
A panel set up to probe the cases of police brutality recently listed 48 casualties of the #EndSARS protest.
It established, contrary to the federal government’s denial, that nine citizens died and four others went missing.
The panel said the killing of unarmed protesters at the tollgate could be described in the context of a “massacre”.
On Tuesday, the Lagos governor had invited top entertainers, leading youth, and human rights activists who were the forerunners of last year’s #EndSARS protests to join him as he leads a “walk for peace” in December.
Among those invited were Seun Kut, Mr Macaroni, Falz, Dele Farotimi, Temitope Majekodunmi, Segun Awosanya (Segalinks), and Adetoun (Just Detoun).
Falz and Macaroni had bluntly declined the invite, asking Sawno-Olu to first implement the panel’s recommendation.
In an interview with Channels TV, Kuti also rejected the invite in favour of seeking justice for police brutality victims.
“I don’t need to walk next to the governor before there is peace in Lagos; there has been peace in Lagos before many years and nobody has to walk anywhere for it,” he said.
“If there is justice, then we can discuss peace. In fact, there will be no need to walk for peace because justice itself is the walk of peace. The governor should walk the walk he is talking about by giving us justice.”
Copyright 2022 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.
Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle