Mr Macaroni, the popular online comedian, has declined an invitation to meet Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Lagos governor, for a peace walk.

Advertisement

In October 2020, army operatives infamously opened fire at unarmed protesters at the Lekki tollgate in Lagos.

A panel set up by Lagos state to probe the cases of police brutality recently listed 48 casualties of the #EndSARS protest.

It established, contrary to the federal government’s denial, that nine citizens died and four others went missing.

Advertisement

The panel said the killing of unarmed protesters at the tollgate could be described in the context of a “massacre”.

But on Tuesday, the Lagos governor had invited top entertainers, leading youth, and human rights activists who were the forerunners of last year’s #EndSARS protests to join him as he leads a “walk for peace” in December.

Among those who were invited were Macaroni, Falz, Dele Farotimi, Temitope Majekodunmi, Segun Awosanya (Segalinks), Adetoun (Just Detoun), and Seun Kuti.

Advertisement

“Join me on this historic march for our dear Lagos. Nobody will build this city for us. Let us show the world who we are. We are Lagosians. a people of great renown, driven by the irrepressible spirit of Lagos,” Sanwo-Olu had said.

In his response, Macaroni declined the invite. He also asked the governor to implement the recommendations of the panel.

“I humbly decline the Invitation of Mr. governor. I believe that genuine peacemaking will begin by first implementing the recommendations of the panel. Then we can begin to trust the government,” he tweeted.

“Finally, I’m not at war with anyone. Not with the Government, police, or politicians.

“All we are asking is that our leaders place value on our lives as citizens and lead us with love, fairness, truth, and justice, to enable all Nigerians to live a better life in peace and unity.”

Similarly, Falz described Sanwo-Olu’s invite as disrespectful to the protesters “murdered in cold blood in 2020”.

Advertisement

“This suggestion of a “walk for peace” sounds like a joke and a very disrespectful one at that. People were murdered in cold blood and absolutely no iota of justice has been served more than a year after,” the rapper tweeted.

“Remember the young Nigerians that had their lives snatched away by weapons wielded by our own armed forces? Do you want to sweep that under the carpet? Is that how to establish a just city?

“Young Nigerians, till today, are still being constantly harassed and extorted by police officers!! You were awfully quiet about that. Or are you not aware?”

Earlier this month, Macaroni had also opened up about his absence when Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo hosted a delegation of Nigerian skit makers in Abuja.



Copyright 2022 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.

Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle