Tanzania authorities say they’re now probing the sexual assault case involving a Nigerian national.

Advertisement

A Nigerian identified as Zainab Oladehinde had earlier narrated her near-rape experience at a Tanzania hotel.

The solo traveler, whose experience has spurred public outrage, named the resort involved as Beach Hotel in Nungwi, Zanzibar.

Oladehinde said she vacationed to Zanzibar on April 15, 2021, and booked at the beach-side hotel for her birthday.

Advertisement

She alleged that in the early hours of the 17th, she felt a hand stroking her unclad body in her pitch-dark room.

She said this was despite that she had locked herself in before going to bed the night before.

Oladehinde said she woke up in shock to an unclad local who attempted to rape her but she eventually escaped.

Advertisement

The accuser said she had reported the matter to the hotel but they dismissed her story as “lies”.

She added that the Tanzanian police also dismissed the case after a medical exam showed there was no penetration.

‘We’re shocked’ — Zanzibar vows to investigate assault

Hafsa Mbamba, executive secretary at Zanzibar’s tourism commission, described the development as “regrettable”.

Advertisement

He said efforts are already being made to investigate the incident ahead of reportage of the commission’s findings.

“On 16th April 2022, the Zanzibar commission for tourism has been made aware of a statement made on social media by Ms. Zainab Oladehinde, a Nigerian national regarding an incident of assault,” Mbamba stated.

“That is said to have taken place in April 2021 at Warere Hotel in Nungwi, Zanzibar.

“The Zanzibar commission for tourism is shocked and disappointed to learn of this incident and takes these allegations very seriously.

“An immediate investigation has commenced and we will report its findings. We condemn any harm or threat to our visitors to the peaceful islands of Zanzibar.

Advertisement

“On behalf of the ministry of tourism & heritage, we would like to inform our visitors that the ministry abhors any ill-treatment of any persons on the isles.

“This is not the Zanzibari hospitality nor the treatment we want our visitors to receive. It is a regrettable incident we are following closely.”

TheCable Lifestyle had earlier reached out to Warere Beach Hotel over the matter but received no response.

Over ‘4000 negative reviews’ hit Warere Beach in 3 hours

In a statement via its Facebook page, the resort said it tried its best to support Oladehinde after the incident.

It alleged the accuser had refused to take the case further after it was reported to the Zanzibar authorities in 2021.

“As a woman-owned and operated business, the Warere takes guest safety and the safety of single women travelers extremely seriously, as evidenced by 6 years of verified positive reviews from women all over the world,” it said.

“We tried our best to support Ms. Zainab Oladehinde as soon as we learned of the accusations. We immediately brought her to the police and offered her support.

“The case was brought before government authorities in April 2021 when it occurred. The police report indicated that this was a personal case, and not negligence on the part of the Warere.

“After passing by the Zanzibar Nungwi police, the district commissioner’s office, the regional commissioner’s office, and the office of the second vice president of the govt of Zanzibar, Ms. Zainab declined to take the case further.

“Ms. Zainab Oladehinde was informed that the hotel would abide by damages rewarded by the court system of Zanzibar.”

Recounting its losses since the accuser’s Twitter thread, Warere Beach said it was inundated with media attacks.

It said it received over 4000 negative reviews on Google in three hours from people who never lodged at its hotel.

“We are saddened that we must post this. Our Warere website was hacked, today 16 April 2022,” the hotel stated.

“Simultaneously, we were inundated by a massive release of defamatory reviews and messages through many different social media platforms regarding accusations of sexual assault at our property.

“Within 3 hours we received over 4,000 negative reviews on Google from people who had never stayed at our hotel.

“We will continue to serve our guests from all corners of the world with the same level of hospitality and excellence that we have become known for throughout Zanzibar over the past six years.”



Copyright 2022 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.

Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle