The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) says it would only resume its orientation camps when the federal government gives it a go-ahead to do so.

The scheme had earlier suspended ongoing orientation exercises nationwide to curb the spread of the COVID-19 as it proceeded with posting corps members to respective places of primary assignments.

In a statement signed by Adenike Adeyemi, NYSC’s public relations director, on Thursday, the scheme debunked reports suggesting that it would soon reopen its orientation camps.

Reiterating the paramountcy of the lives of its personnel, the NYSC said it would wait until when it’s safe to do so “in view of the danger posed by COVID-19, which is still very formidable.”

“The Scheme places a very high premium on the lives of corps members, camp officials, and other stakeholders which was the key reason it suspended 2020 Batch “A” Stream 1 orientation,” the statement read.

“Even when it has been established that it’s safe to proceed to the camps for the resumption of activities, the corps shall only do so when it has received the nod of the federal government.

“Accordingly, corps members and prospective corps members are advised to glean information concerning the Scheme only from NYSC official sources, both the social and mainstream media.”

The NYSC’s stance on reopening camps comes after the Economic Sustainability Committee (ESC) led by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo called on the federal government to consider suspending the camp exercises for two years.



Copyright 2020 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.

Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle