The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) says it has suspended two of its staff and banned two candidates from its processes for violating measures put in place to combat the spread of COVID-19.
The board broke the news in the latest edition of its weekly bulletin released on Monday.
According to JAMB, the development followed a surprise visit by Is-haq Oloyede, its registrar, to the professional testing centre (PTC) where those affected were found without face masks.
It said the measure was indicative of the seriousness with which the board views adherence to COVID-19 protocol.
The board said it had earlier circulated several advisories containing detailed instructions on the need to strictly adhere to the directives.
“These advisories were not only aimed at mitigating the risk of protecting individual staff but also to safeguard the lives of their fellow colleagues,” it said.
The exam body also said the concerned staff would face the board’s disciplinary committee, adding that the head of the office under whose supervision the staff were working would also be queried for “negligence and dereliction of duty”.
It explained that the guidelines put in place were to ensure the safety of its staff, wondering why some of them would intentionally expose themselves to the novel disease by going against them.
The board warned that it would “not tolerate any violation of the extant protocols on COVID-19, noting that supervisory officers would also be held responsible for non- enforcement and non-compliance of staff who circumvent laid-down rules and regulations.”
Copyright 2023 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.
Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle