The coroner inquest set up to ascertain the cause of the death of Whitney Adeniran, the 12-year-old student of  Chrisland High School in Ikeja, has fixed April 4 for the commencement of the hearing.


Adeniran died on February 9 during a sports event in Agege Stadium. She was buried on March 2.

NAN reports that Olabisi Fajana, the magistrate handling the case, fixed the date after entertaining submissions of all counsels at the Ikeja magistrate court.

At the session, Femi Falana, counsel to the family of the late student, informed the court that they were unable to file a witness statement as instructed at the last adjourned date.


Falana told the court that the magistrate registry refused to process the enrolling of the witness statement on the grounds that there is no provision for filling of coroner processes.

His submission was supported by Olukayode Enitan, lawyer to Chrisland School, and Akin George, Lagos state counsel, who also asked the court to explain how to get their processes filed.

Reacting, Fajana informed the counsels that she would get directives from the chief magistrate on how to ensure that the processes were filed before the coroner.


Enitan then informed the court that he has an application before it, seeking to get samples and materials to carry out an independent evaluation of the autopsy report.

But Falana countered the application, arguing that his client was served.

Falana told the court that the autopsy of the deceased was done in the presence of the school representatives and other concerned parties.

On his part, the Lagos counsel said what the state received was a letter, not an application. George added that the state would respond at the appropriate time.


In her ruling, Fajana adjourned the commencement of trial until April 4.

The magistrate also advised all counsels to ensure that their processes were filed and confirmed on April 3.

Blessing Adeniran, the student’s mother, had accused Chrisland of negligence over her death.

The mother also alleged an autopsy revealed her daughter died of electrocution — a claim that was corroborated by the state government.


The school’s management, however, dismissed insinuations that there was foul play in the death case while citing that she slumped in public.

Chrisland also argued that Whitney complained about “not-too-buoyant health” a few days before she died.

The Lagos education ministry had earlier ordered a temporary closure of the school, pending an investigation into the matter.

Also ordering an inquest into Whitney’s death, the Lagos government cited the need for a “thorough” probe.


Copyright 2023 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.

Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle