The Coachella and Stagecoach festivals — two annual music events held in Southern California — have been cancelled over fears of possible COVID-19 spread.
According to CNN, Cameron Kaiser, public health officer of Riverside County, a political division in California, broke the news in a statement on Wednesday.
Kaiser said the measure became imperative given indications that the spread of the novel disease could worsen.
“I am concerned as indications grow that COVID-19 could worsen in the fall. Given the projected circumstances and potential, I would not be comfortable moving forward,” he said.
“These decisions are not taken lightly with the knowledge that many people will be impacted. My first priority is the health of the community.”
The two events were earlier billed for April but later postponed to October under the supervision of Riverside County health officials.
Travis Scott and Frank Ocean were named to headline Coachella while Thomas Rhett, Carrie Underwood and Eric Church were scheduled for Stagecoach.
Several top performers including Seun Kuti, Nigerian singer, Big Sean, Lana Del Rey and Lil Nas X and were among those earlier listed to feature at the Coachella.
The development further stretches list of events in the showbiz industry that have either been postponed or cancelled indefinitely due to the outbreak of the killer virus.
TheCable Lifestyle had earlier reported how the pandemic had affected events earlier fixed by Nigerian celebrities.
Copyright 2021 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.
Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle