The Lagos state government has arraigned Uche Igwe, a 40-year-old broadcaster, for allegedly sharing the viral sex tape involving pupils of Chrisland School.

Advertisement

According to NAN, the on-air-personality (OAP) was brought before a Yaba chief magistrates’ court in Lagos state on Monday.

The media personality was arraigned on a two-count charge of cyberstalking and breach of peace.

But during the court session, he pleaded not guilty to the charges against him.

Advertisement

Augustine Nwabuisi, prosecution counsel for the state criminal investigation department (SCID) Panti, told the court that the defendant committed the offences on April 18.

He claimed that the defendant intentionally shared a video of the 10-year-old female student engaging in sexual intercourse with her colleague via his Twitter page.

Nwabuisi added that the defendant allegedly shared the video on the internet for public viewing without the consent of the student’s parents or the school.

Advertisement

The action, he said, contravened section 24 (1) (a) (b) (i) of the cybercrime (prohibition and prevention) act of 2015, and section 168 (d) of the criminal law of Lagos state, 2015.

Section 24 (1) of the cybercrime (prohibition and prevention) act of 2015 provides for 10 years’ imprisonment for cyberstalking.

Breach of the peace is also punishable with three months jail term under section 168 (d) of the criminal law of Lagos state, 2015.

In her ruling, Adeola Adedayo, the chief magistrate, admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N10 million with three sureties in like sum.

Advertisement

Adedayo ruled that the sureties must submit their National Identification Numbers (NIN) and their Lagos state residents registration agency cards.

She also directed that one of the sureties must be a landowner, adding that all the sureties must reside within the court’s jurisdiction.

Adedayo said all the sureties must be gainfully employed and have evidence of three years’ tax payment to the Lagos state government.

She thereafter adjourned the case until June 13 for the continuation of trial.

Advertisement

In April, the sex video of the pupils, who were earlier in Dubai for the World Schools Games, had surfaced online, eliciting widespread criticism.

At the time, the state government had warned the public against sharing the video, adding that offenders risk 14 years in jail.



Copyright 2022 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.

Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle