The Lagos police command has arrested 237 people for flouting COVID-19 protocols during a raid on some nightclubs across the state.
In a statement, Hakeem Odumosu, the state commissioner of police, said they were arrested in the early hours of Saturday.
According to him, the clubs raided include Lounge 38, Bode Thomas at Surulere where 85 suspects were arrested and Club Victoria’s, VI where 152 suspects were also apprehended.
Odumosu added that six others were also arrested for flouting the 12am – 4am curfew imposed by the federal government.
PRESS BRIEFING BY THE COMMISSIONER OF POLICE LAGOS STATE, CP HAKEEM ODUMOSU, ON THE GROSS VIOLATION OF COVID-19 PROTOCOLS AND ARREST OF VIOLATORS, TODAY 9TH JANUARY, 2021@jidesanwoolu @Prince_Muyen pic.twitter.com/9R6ElUuwoY
— Gawat Jubril A. (@Mr_JAGss) January 9, 2021
The commissioner said the suspects have so far been charged to court and would be arraigned in due course.
“The suspects arrested so far by the command have been charged to court and this set, arrested overnight, will be arraigned with immediate effect,” the statement read.
The commissioner also revealed that the state government has ordered an immediate closure of the raided nightclubs, adding that those who fail to comply with the directive would be prosecuted.
“The club owners are hereby strictly warned to comply with the state government’s directive of immediate and total closure of clubs as they will not only be prosecuted but may have to recommend to the state government the stringent punishment of confiscation of the C of O of the club,” it added.
“…it has been observed that most of the club houses were not initially built and approved to be used as club houses by Lagos state government.”
The commissioner enjoined residents of the state to adhere strictly to the various directives put in place to checkmate the spread of COVID-19.
The development comes weeks after the state government shut Cubana nightclub in GRA, Ikeja and other facilities over similar offence.
Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the state governor, had in December banned street parties and carnivals over the surge in COVID-19 cases.
Copyright 2021 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.
Follow us on twitter @Thecablestyle